In the wild, big cats use their senses of smell and taste to check whether food is rotten. They’re also cautious about things they’re not familiar with.
In the wild, big cats use their senses of smell and taste to check whether food is rotten. They’re also cautious about things they’re not familiar with. Your cute little kitten shares these instincts, but her natural curiosity means she might swallow something either by mistake or through her normal grooming – if something like paint or tar sticks to her fur, for example. With your love and care, you can help your feline friend avoid any potential dangers!
Prevention is better than cure, so store all cleaning liquids, medicines, paints and poisons out of your kitten’s reach. It’s also a good idea to keep doors to cellars, garages and attics shut.
In the wild, big cats will hide if they're ill or injured. Your little kitten might do the same if she’s swallowed something nasty, so keep track of her whereabouts. Poison symptoms can vary widely from unusual tiredness to paralysis, shivering and cramps, as well as diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting. If you’re at all worried, take your kitten to the vet as soon as you can.
If your kitten does show signs of poisoning, don't try to make her sick – take her straight to the vet. If you know what the poison is, take it with you.